Saturday, February 21, 2009

Travel, etc.

Ailments, injuries, etc.: A torn fingernail from whitewater rafting (it has turned half my nail a lovely purply-brown colour), several hundred mosquito bites, and Beardie has only just recovered from a bad case of [insert town]-belly, which has seen him up most of the night, clutching his stomach and moaning. And, of course, making the toilet his friend. Our best guess at the culprit is a strange sausage-contained-in-a-waffle (on a stick) from a street vendor at Doi Suthep. Strange combos like this can only be bad news.

Stress, worry, etc.: No holiday would be complete without the obligatory thoughts of work and the associated bullshit. Having applied for two jobs directly before leaving for Thailand, I have heard nothing back at all, so of course my mind is full of what-if's and oh-no's and hmm-maybe's. If anyone knows how to turn my stupid brain off, please let me know.

Causing offence, etc.: At the temple at Doi Suthep, Beardie and I removed our shoes, as is required in these places. As we were leaving, we walked back to our shoes, and a monk was standing directly next to them. I had placed the shoes behind a pillar, and as monks aren't allowed to really come into any kind of contact with girls at all, I stretched my foot out and deftly picked up the shoes with my nimble toes. That is, I pointed my foot directly at the monk. Beardie hurriedly pulled me aside and pointed out my grave insult afterwards. So, I can only guess that I am most likely going to suffer eternal damnation (or the Buddhist equivalent. Reincarnation as something incredibly shitty?). The monk walked off looking quite disgusted. Would this holiday be complete if I didn't cause extreme offence to people? Sigh.

Travel bug, etc.: In between being offered ping pong shows, endless tuk tuk rides and tailored suits, and sweating like a pig, I appear to have been bitten by the travel bug again, well and truly. I am already excitedly talking about where I want to go next, and that we have to start planning as soon as we get home so that we have something to look forward to, etc. These itchy feet are going to be very bloody expensive.

So while I was thinking that three weeks would not be enough time, I am beginning to feel like this is the longest holiday ever (and is therefore awesome). I guess work makes time fly by at a ridiculous rate, and spending your days wandering, taking photos and recording dodgy footage is a luxury I'm not used to. We have arrived in Phuket and we are mid-way through exploring. Tomorrow, we are gibbon-spotting and on Monday we are off boating, to have our very own Leonardo moment. But with a lot more tourists.

Lovely!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was offended by you pointing your foot at him? I think he just wants to make farangs feel guilty. Don't worry about being reincarnated as a gibbon or a ping pong ball or anything ;)

Glad you're having fun.

Anonymous said...

Hah ha! Nice, I did not even realise you could offend monks.

Keep up the good work.